After much fooling around (code-wise), I finally figured out the secret according to the stuff here, that the cut and paste I did had a character for the single quote that was curved, and so broke the PHP script. When I changed it back to a single straight quote mark (the one below the double quote on the keyboard) , things started working.
I also installed the latest version of K2, the theme I use. All I had to do was add the tweaks I did to make the pages in the Church of the Saviour section (WordPress page functions) use a different sidebar that displays the links for all the other pages in that section.
Now I need to find out how to get Live writer to use the WordPress tagging scenario, so they show up as tags on the posts display pages.